Worshippers outside the Quaker Meeting House, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1860 - 1862 (c.)

Description:The Society of Friends, or Quakers, established themselves in Stafford around 1650. As a minority religion they were heavily persecuted.

Quakers refused to be buried in St. Mary's churchyard, so they bought a plot of land on Foregate Street for their own burial ground. The meeting house was erected next to the burial ground in 1730.

Pictured are Abraham Hollinshead, George Sandy, Ursula Wycherley, Enoch Halden, Anne Turner and Walter Lapworth.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1860s
Portrait of Dr Masfen, Surgeon, Stafford,
Portrait of Dr Masfen, Surgeon, Stafford,

Dr Masfen was born in 1831. He graduated from London University in 1853, where ...

1890s
Post Office, Stafford
Post Office, Stafford

Charles Joshua Bagnall postmaster, and his wife Sarah Ann Bagnall outside Foregate ...

1920s
'Mother and Big Baby' Pageant Entry, Stafford,
'Mother and Big Baby' Pageant Entry, Stafford,

The annual Stafford Pageant included a procession through the town, and ended with ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4080/4/17, img: 1760 (18/2209)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.