Narrowboat 'Farmers Friend' on an outing, Froghall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1908 - 1910 (c.)

Description:The Farmer’s Friend was a working narrowboat owned by Bowers and Thorley, limestone burners and hauliers. It was used for carrying limestone mined from Cauldon Low quarry to the lime kilns at Froghall on the Cauldon and Uttoxeter Canals.

It is seen here passing through a lock whilst being used for a outing. The tiller man is Francis Hordern (1879-1911).

The woman next to the chimney is Annie Hordern. She is holding a child, Frank Hordern.

The horse used to tow the narrowboat at the time was called George.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Martyn Hordern

Donor ref:MH06 (55/21431)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.