Mill Street, Stone

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1989

Description:A view of Mill street looking towards the Mill. Price and Stubb's funeral directors buildings are in the foreground and, although altered, are still standing in 2006.

The factory complex beyond began life as a shoe factory, initially Richard Vernon's and later Lewis and Adie's. Most of the buildings in this view were built by Quickfit and Quartz, makers of scientific and industrial glassware. The company began in 1934 as a subsidiary of the Triplex safety Glass Co. at Kings Norton, Birmingham. they moved to Stone in 1946 and greatly expanded the factory in 1951. In 1958 they were taken over by James A. Jobling of Sunderland and moved to a new factory in Walton in 1963. It was then occupied by a number of companies, the chief one of which was Broadcrown Ltd.

The site was cleared in the late 1990s to make way for the new Safeway supermarket, later Morrisons.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Photographer Herbert, Douglas Piggott - Creator

Image courtesy of: Mr Herbert Douglas Piggott

Donor ref:morrisons 3.jpg (55/20961)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.