Broad Eye Windmill and River Sow, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:Photograph taken from South Street.

Broad Eye corn mill was built in 1796 using stones taken from the Old Town Hall (now replaced by the Shire Hall). The miller lived in a house next door.

In 1845 steam power was introduced and the sails were removed in the 1890s, after the mill had stopped working. The building was then used as a warehouse for grain and, later, by James Marsh, a mineral water manufacturer.

In 1925 the lower floors were converted into a butcher shop, owned by Mr G. Foster; by 1932 it had become Palmer's greengrocers.

The houses were demolished in 1930 and the land added to the Victoria Park extension. In the 1940s the building stood empty and fell into a decline; in 1951 the windmill was declared a Grade II listed building.

Behind the bridge are the gasworks buildings on Chell Road, demolished in the late 1960s to make way for Sainsbury's Supermarket.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., slide 32, img: 1644 (18/2094)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.