Tixall Hall,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1820 - 1821 (c.)

Description:The Aston family from Haywood acquired the Tixall estate through marriage; the hall was rebuilt in 1555. In 1580 Sir Walter Aston added the gate-house.

Six years later Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned in the gate-house whilst her apartments at Chartley Castle were searched for evidence of treason.

In 1720 the estate passed to the Clifford family, who rebuilt the hall in 1785 using local stone. In about 1835 the Cliffords sold Tixall to the Earl Talbot of Ingestre.

Tixall Hall was demolished in 1926, the stone was reused in the building of St. John's Church, Stafford. The stables and gate-house remain; today the gate-house can be hired as a holiday home.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., G94.312.1, img: 1599 (18/2049)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.