Ancient High House, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1859

Description:The large timber framed building is the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, built by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The timber was said to have come from Doxey Wood, near Stafford Castle. King Charles I stayed here in September 1642, whilst on a recruiting drive during the Civil War.

In 1826 the building was bought by John Marson, who converted the lower floor into shops. The building is now owned by the Borough Council and opened to the public in 1987.

On the left is the Swan Hotel was originally built as two private town houses in the seventeenth century. The buildings were converted into a coaching inn in 1752 and a Georgian front was later added. Charles Dickens stayed at the Swan in the 1840s, when he found himself stranded between trains.

On the right is W. Wynnes', the bootmakers, which in the early twentieth century was taken over by Brookfield's tailors shop.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1860s
Swan Hotel, Stafford,
Swan Hotel, Stafford,

Situated in Greengate, the Swan Hotel was originally built as two private town houses ...

1870s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

View of the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, built by Richard Dorrington ...

1890s
Marson's Grocers Shop Advertisement, Stafford,
Marson's Grocers Shop Advertisement, Stafford,

Advertisement for Marson's grocers shop, celebrating Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. Marson's ...

1910s
Sir Walter Essex MP in a Horse-drawn Carriage, Stafford,
Sir Walter Essex MP in a Horse-drawn Carriage, Stafford,

Sir Walter Essex was the Liberal M.P. for Stafford 1910 - 1918. He is accompanied ...

1930s
Portrait of Philip Dale, Stafford,
Portrait of Philip Dale, Stafford,

Mr Philip Dale was the proprietor of Dale's, the ironmongers shop on Greengate Street. ...

1950s
Shrewsbury State Chariot outside the Swan Hotel, Stafford,
Shrewsbury State Chariot outside the Swan Hotel, Stafford,

The Earl of Shrewsbury's State Chariot passing the Swan Hotel in Greengate Street, ...

1970s
Bear Inn sign,
Bear Inn sign,

The seventeenth century Bear Inn on Greengate Street was built on the site of the ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: E.H. Buckler (artist) - Creator

Donor ref:G95.055.0001 (18/2017)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.