Broughton Hall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1685

Description:Broughton Hall was built for Sir Thomas Broughton in the mid-sixteenth century, possibly on the site of an earlier building. During the eighteenth century the ornate timber work was covered in plaster, to 'improve' the facade.

In 1914 Broughton Hall was bought by a Staffordshire industrialist, John Hall, from Sir Delves Broughton. Between 1926 and 1939 the new owner renovated the building, doubling its size by adding the northern wing and a stone extension to the rear. The plaster facade was also removed and the timber work restored.

During World War Two the Hall was used as a school.

In 1952 Mrs Hall donated Broughton Hall to the Franciscan Missionaries of St. Joseph, as both of her children had been killed in WWII and the nuns were looking for a suitable Mother House. The nuns remained at the hall until rising repair costs forced them to relocate in the mid-1990s. The hall was bought by John Caudwell (the well known Stoke-on-Trent mobile phone tycoon), who is still (in 2003) in the process of renovating the house to its former glory.

The print was commissioned by Dr. Robert Plot for his book 'Natural History of Staffordshire', published in 1686.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: M. Burghers (engraver) - Creator

Donor ref:G95.114.0001 (18/1986)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.