Swan Hotel, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1880 - 1900 (c.)

Description:Situated in Greengate, the Swan Hotel was originally built as two private town houses in the seventeenth century, joined by a central archway. The buildings were converted into a coaching inn in 1752 and a Georgian front was later added.

George Borrow described The Swan in the early nineteenth century as 'a place of infinite life and bustle', but by the middle of the century the advent of the railway had brought the Swan, like other coaching inns, into a decline. Charles Dickens stayed at the Swan at this time, when he found himself stranded between trains in Stafford; in contrast to Borrow he compared the inn to the extinct Dodo.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Ancient High House, Stafford
Ancient High House, Stafford

The large timber framed building is the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, ...

1880s
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,

Tea wrapper from William Marson's grocery business, established in the High House ...

1900s
Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,
Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,

Marson's staff and Christmas window display. Marson's high class grocer's shop ...

1920s
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,

Woodall's shop was at 55 Greengate Street. It closed in the 1970s.

1950s
Dale's Ironmongers Shop Interior, Stafford,
Dale's Ironmongers Shop Interior, Stafford,

Dale's shop was on Greengate Street. The sixteenth century building was first used ...

1970s
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,

St. Mary's Passages leads from Greengate into St. Mary's churchyard. On the right ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., P86.24.337, img: 1513 (18/1967)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.