Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1945 - 1955 (c.)

Description:View of the Market Square, which until 1953 was used as a car park.

In the centre is the Shire Hall, with the Lloyds Bank building to its left.

On the far left is the new Guildhall, constructed in 1934.

In the distance can be seen the County Asylum, which became St. George's Hospital in the 1950s.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1790s
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square. In 1790 a decision was made to ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1860s
Harry Bostock, Stafford,
Harry Bostock, Stafford,

1880s
Elizabethan House, Stafford,
Elizabethan House, Stafford,

The Elizabethan House was built on Gaolgate Street in the late Tudor period. The ...

1900s
Shire Hall and Market Square, Stafford,
Shire Hall and Market Square, Stafford,

Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market ...

1920s
Boy with Collecting Tin, Stafford Pageant,
Boy with Collecting Tin, Stafford Pageant,

Stan Holt dressed as a jester. The annual procession through Stafford ended with ...

1940s
Scout Group, Stafford,
Scout Group, Stafford,

1970s
Morris Dancers, Market Square, Stafford,
Morris Dancers, Market Square, Stafford,

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4113/7/2, img: 1502 (18/1956)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.