St. Chad's Church, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:St. Chad's dates from the Norman period and is one of Stafford's oldest churches. The church was originally built in an open square, but since the seventeenth century it was surrounded by shops and housing, shut away from Greengate Street.

St. Chad's was poor and the building neglected. The old Norman tower had collapsed many years before, replaced by the present tower some time before 1500. In the 1740s the west end also collapsed, so the church was encased in plaster and brickwork, covering the Norman features. The church bells were sold to cover some of the repair costs.

By the mid-nineteenth century St. Chad's was in more regular use. Restoration work carried out in the 1850s revealed much of the original Norman church, and the chancel was restored in the memory of Izaak Walton, who was a benefactor of St. Chad's. The surrounding buildings were removed to provide a view of the restored building.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Ancient High House, Stafford
Ancient High House, Stafford

The large timber framed building is the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, ...

1870s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

View of the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, built by Richard Dorrington ...

1890s
William Marson and the Old Curiosity Shop, Stafford,
William Marson and the Old Curiosity Shop, Stafford,

William Albert Marson owned a high class family grocer's shop, established in the ...

1920s
Swan Hotel Dining Room, Stafford
Swan Hotel Dining Room, Stafford

Situated in Greengate, the Swan Hotel was originally built as two private town houses ...

1940s
District Bank, Stafford,
District Bank, Stafford,

The Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company opened a branch in Stafford ...

1960s
Student Demonstration, Stafford,
Student Demonstration, Stafford,

Staffordshire students' protest march on Greengate Street. At the front are John ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P97.040.0033 (18/1941)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.