Aerial View of Stafford Castle,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1968

Description:The castle to the south-west of the town was built in the fourteenth century by Ralph de Stafford, on the site of an earlier Norman wooden castle.

In December 1643, during the English Civil War (after the fall of the castle in July of that year) orders were issued by the Parliamentary Committee in Stafford that the castle should be demolished.

In the early years of the nineteenth century the Jerningham family sought to gain the Baronetcy of Stafford and began to rebuild the castle as a home, but did not progress beyond the front towers and the joining rooms at the front, and the rear towers as far as the first floor. This work progressed from 1810 until 1815 and after that no further work was done.

The construction work was poor and part of the north tower fell to the ground during the gales of March 1947, during which the whole structure was said to have vibrated. The army demolished the main part, including the two front towers, in the 1960s, leaving a filled-in shell.

Excavations in the castle began in 1979, when it was discovered that Stafford possessed one of the largest medieval castles in the country.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1830s
Stafford Castle,
Stafford Castle,

The castle to the south-west of the town was built in the fourteenth century by ...

1850s
Stafford Castle,
Stafford Castle,

The castle to the south-west of the town was built in the fourteenth century by ...

1900s
Stafford Castle Tower,
Stafford Castle Tower,

The castle to the south-west of the town was built in the fourteenth century by ...

1930s
Stafford Castle, Interior,
Stafford Castle, Interior,

The hall, showing oak panelling and a frieze of carved 'hippocamps' or sea horses. ...

1960s
Aerial View of Stafford Castle,
Aerial View of Stafford Castle,

The castle to the south-west of the town was built in the fourteenth century by ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P97.004.0325 (18/1884)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.