Greengate Street, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1949

Description:On the left are the Staffordshire Advertiser Offices. The newspaper was founded in 1795 and moved to these premises in 1860. Next door is the Gothic-style building of the District Bank, demolished in the 1970s.

The Leyland vehicle in the centre of the photograph is being delivered to a body builder.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1860s
Greengate Street, Stafford,
Greengate Street, Stafford,

Note the cattle tethered by the Swan Hotel, whose sign can be seen clearly in the ...

1880s
Greengate Street, Stafford,
Greengate Street, Stafford,

These buildings on Greengate Street were replaced by the Royal Brine Baths in 1892. The ...

1900s
Greengate Street, Stafford,
Greengate Street, Stafford,

The Gothic building on the left was the District Bank, completed in 1907. Inside ...

1920s
Bridge Street Fire Station, Stafford,
Bridge Street Fire Station, Stafford,

The fire station was built in 1885 at the junction of Greengate Street and Bridge ...

1940s
District Bank, Stafford,
District Bank, Stafford,

The Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company opened a branch in Stafford ...

1970s
Corner of Mill Street and Greengate Street, Stafford,
Corner of Mill Street and Greengate Street, Stafford,

On the left is Chetwynd House, built around 1712-1715 by William Chetwynd, 3rd Viscount ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P97.004.0158 (18/1872)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.