St. Austin's Church, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1940 - 1950 (c.)

Description:St. Austin's Church was built on the site of an old friary of the Order of St. Austin, on Wolverhampton Road. The first chapel opened in 1791. Its oak stalls came from Lichfield Cathedral and the fifteenth century stained glass windows from Belgium.

The new church (pictured) was built on the site of the old in 1862. Part of the old church and priest's house can be seen on the right.

A turret and bell replaced the planned spire, to reduce building costs.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P97.004.0103 (18/1860)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.