Victoria Park Paddling Pool, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1960 (c.)

Description:The land between Izaak Walton Walk and the railway station was marshy and liable to flooding. In 1903 the Corporation bought the land and raised its level by three feet. The area was laid out as Victoria Park, opening on 15 June 1908.

To celebrate the coronation of George V in 1911, the park was extended across the River Sow towards Tenterbanks. A bowling green was added and the two parts were linked by Coronation Bridge.

A further extension, with tennis courts, a playground and a paddling pool for children opened in 1930.

The large building on the left is Stafford Technical College.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

School Class, Tenterbanks School, Stafford,
School Class, Tenterbanks School, Stafford,

Tenterbanks School was built in 1910. The school was demolished in the 1970s to ...

Aerial View of Stafford,
Aerial View of Stafford,

Aerial view taken by R.A.F. 42 Operational Training Unit. In the lower half of ...

River Sow in Stafford,
River Sow in Stafford,

The River Sow, with South Street on the left and the Castle Tavern in the distance....

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., P97.4.95, img: 1392 (18/1858)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.