After the fire at Huggins and Chambers, High Street, Uttoxeter

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:November 1921

Description:Huggins and Chambers ironmongers, and vendor of "Witchem's Firelighters", 3 High Street. This image is No.1 in a series of postcards by Alfred McCann, taken in the aftermath of the fire which completely destroyed the premises. Only one girder and two pillars remain of the building.

The site of the shop was bought by Barclays Bank after the fire, who built the Tudor style building which remains today. Charles Elkes, the owner of the bakery and cafe next door to the bank, occupied the upper floors of the bank building.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1890s
Cross Keys, High Street, Uttoxeter
Cross Keys, High Street, Uttoxeter

The Cross Keys, dates from 1697, and was one of only a handful of brick built buildings ...

1910s
High Street, Uttoxeter
High Street, Uttoxeter

View up High Street from near the end of Carter Street. Hankinsons Chemists, Sampsons, ...

1950s
Westhorpe's, Jewellers, 22 High Street, Uttoxeter
Westhorpe's, Jewellers, 22 High Street, Uttoxeter

This picture was taken after some renovation work had been completed.

1980s
High Street, West Side, Uttoxeter
High Street, West Side, Uttoxeter

View of businesses including Currys, Halfords, Bourne Sports, and Hodgkinson's newagents....

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Alfred McCann - Creator

Donor ref:Bui/Hst/H&C (1/184)

Source: Uttoxeter Heritage Centre

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.