Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:Holy Trinity Church dates from the twelfth century. The chancel was replaced in the thirteenth century, and in the fifteenth century the tower was raised to its present height and the clerestory added.

Between 1866 and 1869 major internal alterations were carried out. The architect was George Edmund Street. The decayed roof of the north and south aisles was replaced, the north wall was completely rebuilt, the ceiling of the nave was replaced, as were the old box pews and chancel window. The baptistery and choir vestry were also added at this time. The work became a memorial to Bishop Lonsdale who died in 1867, a year after the alterations had begun.

In 1892 a new sculptured reredos, in Staffordshire alabaster and designed by Basil Champneys, was added in memory of Colonel Francis Chambers. In the 1930s a chapel in the north of the chancel was refurbished and the organ was replaced, in memory of Susan Mary Lowe of Sugnall Hall.

The church contains a thirteenth century font, and the sixteenth and seventeenth century tomb chests of the Bishops of Lichfield.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,
Holy Trinity Church Interior, Eccleshall,

Photograph taken before the 1866 renovations. Holy Trinity Church dates from ...

Flower girls, Eccleshall,
Flower girls, Eccleshall,

Flower girls at the wedding of Mr & Mrs V.E. Vickers at Eccleshall church.

Chancel Screen, Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall,
Chancel Screen, Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall,

Screen in the north chancel prior to the 1930s alterations. The Bosville Chapel, ...

Effigy, Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall,
Effigy, Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall,

Effigy of Elias-de-Napton which marked his tomb in 1295 when it was in the south ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:P96.006.0031 (18/1777)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.