Ancient High House, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1879 - 1881 (c.)

Description:View of the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, built by Richard Dorrington in 1595.

King Charles I stayed here in September 1642, whilst on a recruiting drive during the Civil War. His nephew, Prince Rupert, was said to have taken shots at the weather-cock on St. Mary's tower from the garden of the house.

In 1826 the building was bought by John Marson, who converted the lower floor into shops. His son, William Albert, eventually took over his father's grocery business. In 1885 he added new shop fronts, establishing himself as a high class family grocer and Italian warehouseman.

The building is now owned by the Borough Council and opened to the public as a heritage and exhibition centre in 1987.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Martin Street, Stafford,
Martin Street, Stafford,

Watercolour painting by Great Haywood born sculptor and artist Samuel Peploe Wood ...

1870s
William Marson and Magic Lanterns, Stafford,
William Marson and Magic Lanterns, Stafford,

William Albert Marson held public magic lantern shows featuring his 'dissolving ...

1890s
Greengate Street, Stafford
Greengate Street, Stafford

View from outside St. Chad's Church, looking north. On the left is Shaw's House, ...

1900s
Jolly Bacchus Public House, Stafford,
Jolly Bacchus Public House, Stafford,

The Jolly Bacchus was on Greengate Street, to the right of the Bear Inn. The ...

1920s
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,

Woodall's shop was at 55 Greengate Street. It closed in the 1970s.

1940s
Sydney and Elsie Hall, Swan Hotel,
Sydney and Elsie Hall, Swan Hotel,

Sydney and Elsie Hall with the Winnie Grundy Band at a function in the Ballroom ...

1960s
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,

Rear yard of the Bear Inn on Greengate Street, which included a coach house. The ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P87.056.0001 (18/1746)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.