Shugborough Park and Monuments

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1765 - 1768 (c.)

Description:An extensive view of the Park at Shugborough in the mid-late 18th century. Some of the monuments and follies in this view still remain: the Tower of the Winds, built 1764-5; the Triumphal Arch built 1761-2 and the Lanthorn of Demosthenes, built 1764-9. All three were designed by James 'Athenian' Stuart.

No longer surviving are the Obelisk standing on a hill on the edge of Cannock Chase, which blew down during the 19th century; and the Pagoda, Cascade and Palladian Bridge which were almost certainly swept away in the Great Flood of 1795.

A watercolour by Nicholas Dall (died 1777). It is on display at Shugborough Hall and is reproduced by courtesy of the National Trust.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Nicholas Thomas Dall - Creator

Donor ref:SHUG/P/56 (143/17343)

Source: National Trust

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.