The Ruins, Shugborough

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1760 - 1770 (c.)

Description:The Ruin is situated on the banks of the River Sow; this monument was built in abou 1749-1750 using stone from sections of Shugborough Hall pulled down during alterations. The architect was Thomas Wright of Durham, who may have also worked on the Cat's Monument.

This view shows a far more extensive monument than that which survives today; it was probably severely damaged in the great flood of 1795. To the left the Triumphal Arch can be seen in the distance.

A watercolour painting by Nicholas Dall (died 1777). It is on display at Shugborough Hall and is reproduced by courtesy of the National Trust.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Nicholas Thomas Dall - Creator

Donor ref:SHUG/P/71 (143/17341)

Source: National Trust

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.