Wash Pit, Eccleshall,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1905 (c.)

Description:The Wash Pit, or Sheep Pool, on Church Street was a pond fed by a spring.

After a fire at the church in 1868 the need for a water supply became apparent. In 1890 the Wash Pit was cleaned out and deepened for holding water; railings were added for safety. It was used by the fire service, who also washed their engine there.

With the introduction of a mains water supply, the Wash Pit fell into disrepair. The railings were removed and the area filled in and planted with shrubs.

In the 1990s sections of the railings were found, restored and replaced.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1900s
Wash Pit, Eccleshall,
Wash Pit, Eccleshall,

The Wash Pit, or Sheep Pool, on Church Street was a pond fed by a spring. After ...

1930s
Old Vicarage, Eccleshall,
Old Vicarage, Eccleshall,

The Old Vicarage on Vicarage Close was built in 1703. The building has not been ...

1950s
Lych Gate and War Memorial, Eccleshall,
Lych Gate and War Memorial, Eccleshall,

1990s
Excavation of the Wash Pit Railings, Eccleshall, (1)
Excavation of the Wash Pit Railings, Eccleshall, (1)

The Wash Pit, or Sheep Pool, on Church Street was a pond fed by a spring. After ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:SAMS Acc. No., P81.5.40, img: 1176 (18/1647)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.