Eastgate Street, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1877

Description:The building under construction is the Borough Hall, completed in 1877. Here work is being carried out on the collapsed gable end. The Castle Inn was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the Telephone Exchange. The Goat Inn is the building to the immediate right of Eastgate House with the horses and carts in front of it.

The Borough Hall on Eastgate Street was designed by Henry Ward, the Borough architect. It opened on 20 June 1877.

Borough Council offices, the library and the Wragg Museum occupied the ground floor. On the first floor was a large hall with a stage, which was used for meetings, dances, concerts and plays.

The council moved to new premises in Riverside in 1984. The Borough Hall was refurbished and now houses the Gatehouse Theatre.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1880s
Izaak Walton's Birthplace, Stafford,
Izaak Walton's Birthplace, Stafford,

Izaak Walton's birthplace, Eastgate Street. The building was being used as a coach ...

1910s
John Bagnall's Engineering Works, Exterior View, Stafford,
John Bagnall's Engineering Works, Exterior View, Stafford,

Entrance to John Bagnall's carriage works, Pitcher Bank. The building was once ...

1930s
John Bagnall in his Hand-built Car, Stafford,
John Bagnall in his Hand-built Car, Stafford,

Miniature petrol car built by John Bagnall whose family owned Bagnall's Carriage ...

1950s
Eastgate Street, Stafford,
Eastgate Street, Stafford,

A policeman and police car indicates that the building which today is the Registry ...

1970s
Shrewsbury Arms, Stafford,
Shrewsbury Arms, Stafford,

The white building on the corner of Pitcher Bank is the Shrewsbury Arms.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P80.085.0001 (18/1643)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.