High Street, Stone,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1920 - 1921 (c.)

Description:On the left is Evan and Sons ironmongers and garage, established in 1840.

The building with the bow windows is the Crown Hotel. The hotel was damaged by fire in 1778. The new building was designed by Henry Holland in 1780. The inn was a stop for stage coaches from London, Manchester and Birmingham; there was also a post room where mail bags were stored while awaiting the next coach.

The next shop, on the corner with Market Square, is Pyatt's grocers shop, best remembered for its pulley system of transferring cash from the counter to the cashier.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1880s
Stone Volunteer Band,
Stone Volunteer Band,

The band was formed by Band Sergt. H. Wood from members of Stone's battalion of ...

1900s
Chell's Grocers Shop, Stone,
Chell's Grocers Shop, Stone,

Chell's grocers shop on High Street.

1950s
High Street, Stone
High Street, Stone

The shop called "Melia's" pictured on the right hand side of the photograph was ...

1970s
Air Training Corps Recruitment Display, Stone
Air Training Corps Recruitment Display, Stone

The aim of the Air Training Corps was to prepare cadets for service in the Royal ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P79.021.0019 (18/1617)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.