Old Town Wall, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1960 - 1961 (c.)

Description:Since Stafford was first occupied as a settlement it was fortified, at first by natural features - the River Sow on one side and marshland on the other. Early man-made defences includes medieval ditches and timber walls, which were later replaced by stone.

This is the north wall of Stafford's East Gate-house. It was originally on Lammascote Road, but was moved to the end of Eastgate Street in 1939, pictured here, due to road widening work. The house has since been demolished but the fragment of wall remains.

The groove in which the portcullis worked can still be seen in the wall.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Mr Ian Tavernor

Donor ref:IT_07 (82/14483)

Source: Mr Ian Tavernor

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.