Sir Martin Noell's Almshouses and Inhabitants, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1905

Description:Sir Martin Noell was a London merchant who was born in Stafford in the seventeenth century. He had these almshouses houses built on Mill Street for the poor of the town. The inhabitants were also given a small pension and a coal allowance from the Corporation.

The almshouses had their own chapel, whose stained-glass windows were believed to have come from the old castle church. A weekly service was held by the Sub-Rector of St. Mary's Church.

In the centre is William Albert Marson, a visiting lay reader. Marson held sermons in several churches within the Stafford area, including St. Matthew's at Derrington, St. John's in Littleworth and Brocton Mission Hall.

Marson also ran a grocery shop from the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, and the 'Old Curiosity Shop' on Albion Place which sold furniture, china and fancy goods.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: William Salt Library

Donor ref:William Salt Library No., Stafford 25i, img: 972 (18/1446)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.