View of Littleton Colliery

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1993 - 1994 (c.)

Description:Part of Littleton stockyard is picture here, with coal screening buildings in the background.

Cannock and Huntington Collieries Company started sinking both No. 1 Shaft and No. 2 Shaft in January 1877. By 1881 the shafts were sunk to just over 400ft (121m) but severe water problems caused the shafts to be abandoned. In 1897 Lord Hatherton, on whose land the venture stood, decided to re-open the shafts if this was possible. A third shaft (No. 3 Shaft) was started but No. 1 was left full of water, and so by 1902 No. 2 and No. 3 shafts were sunk through all the Cannock Chase coal measures to a depth of 1644ft (501m). All the seams were worked at different intervals of time until the colliery's closure in December 1994. At its peak the colliery employed 2000 men.

Related themes:

Mining & Quarrying Mines
View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Luke Unsworth - Creator

Donor ref:LU1 (80/14436)

Source: Mr Luke Unsworth

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.