Aerial view of Oulton Abbey and village, near Stone

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1960 - 1970 (c.)

Description:Ann aerial view of Oulton, looking north-east, with Oulton Abbey bottom right.

Oulton Abbey, formerly Oulton House, was built by Thomas Dent, a solicitor, in about 1720. It was later owned by John Joule, the brewer, who added a new front in 1822. Between 1835 and 1838 it was occupied by the Duke of Sutherland while Trentham Hall was being altered. Between 1838 and 1853 it was a private asylum run by Sarah Bakewell and was known as Oulton Retreat.

Since 1853 it has been occupied by Benedictine nuns and became known as St Mary's Abbey. The nuns have also established a playgroup (since 1968) and Our Lady and St. Benedict's Nursing and Residential Home (since 1989).

The Abbey chapel was built in 1854 to designs by Edward Welby Pugin. A Chapter House, Presbytry and Sacristy were added in 1892.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:VB-23.tif (74/14399)

Source: Mrs Valerie Bell

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.