Canal Bridge, Forton,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1977

Description:The photograph shown here was taken in a south easterly direction from the north bank of the River Meese. The road (or lane) is between Meretown and Forton, approximately 90 metres North of Skew Bridge. This construction had a dual purpose. It was a bridge and an aqueduct. The raised wall on the far side of the road was to protect any personel danger between the road and the canal towpath. The canal being the Newport branch of the Shropshire Union Canal. The Newport branch of the Shropshire Union Canal was little used after 1920, it was closed in 1955 and backfilled.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D5026/4/23, img: 935 (18/1412)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.