District Bank, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1948

Description:The Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company opened a branch in Stafford in 1832, having taken over the Stafford Bank (which had been declared bankrupt in 1830). Its first premises, Bank House, were to the left of this building and were later occupied by Evans and Evans.

In 1907 the bank moved into this Gothic style building, designed by Mr Griffiths the County Architect. Inside the banking hall was a hammer-beam roof and two elaborate marble fireplaces.

The building was demolished in the 1970s and was replaced by the National Westminster bank buildings.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1860s
Swan Hotel, Stafford,
Swan Hotel, Stafford,

Situated in Greengate, the Swan Hotel was originally built as two private town houses ...

1880s
Swan Hotel, Stafford,
Swan Hotel, Stafford,

Situated in Greengate, the Swan Hotel was originally built as two private town houses ...

1900s
Greengate Street, Stafford,
Greengate Street, Stafford,

View looking towards Market Square. The timber framed building on the left is ...

1920s
Swan Hotel Dining Room, Stafford
Swan Hotel Dining Room, Stafford

Situated in Greengate, the Swan Hotel was originally built as two private town houses ...

1940s
Sydney and Elsie Hall, Swan Hotel,
Sydney and Elsie Hall, Swan Hotel,

Sydney and Elsie Hall with the Winnie Grundy Band at a function in the Ballroom ...

1960s
Milford Hall Cricket Club Annual Dinner, Swan Hotel, Stafford
Milford Hall Cricket Club Annual Dinner, Swan Hotel, Stafford

Menu card for Milford Hall Cricket Club's 39th Annual Dinner, held at the Swan Hotel, ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P98.011.0007 (18/1389)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.