Bear Inn, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1955 (c.)

Description:The seventeenth century Bear Inn on Greengate Street was built on the site of the Old Black Bear Inn; it is possible some of the old building was used in the structure of the present.

In the eighteenth century the inn was known as the White Bear and was one of four coaching inns in Stafford, the other three being The Star and The George on Market Square, and The Swan (opposite The Bear). Only The Bear and The Swan survive to this day.

The inn's sign, a large carved wooden bear, is associated with the Beresford family; their crest featured a rampant black bear. The bear no longer stands on its hind legs as this made it vulnerable to strong winds.

The shop on the right was formerly the Jolly Bacchus public house. The building is now a tobacconists and sweet shop, and the bay window can still be seen.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Martin Street, Stafford,
Martin Street, Stafford,

Watercolour painting by Great Haywood born sculptor and artist Samuel Peploe Wood ...

1870s
William Marson and Magic Lanterns, Stafford,
William Marson and Magic Lanterns, Stafford,

William Albert Marson held public magic lantern shows featuring his 'dissolving ...

1890s
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ...

1900s
Sproston's Gents Outfitters Shop, Stafford,
Sproston's Gents Outfitters Shop, Stafford,

This menswear shop was at 35 Greengate Street and was run by Percival Charles Sproston. ...

1920s
Decorated Pram Parade, Stafford,
Decorated Pram Parade, Stafford,

'Baby Day' was organised by the Maternity and Child Welfare Committee of Stafford ...

1940s
Sydney and Elsie Hall, Swan Hotel,
Sydney and Elsie Hall, Swan Hotel,

Sydney and Elsie Hall with the Winnie Grundy Band at a function in the Ballroom ...

1960s
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,

Rear yard of the Bear Inn on Greengate Street, which included a coach house. The ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: William Salt Library

Donor ref:William Salt Library No., 20K, img: 845 (18/1362)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.