Averil's Old Shop, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1930 - 1940 (c.)

Description:This timber framed building, built c. 1475, stood on Market Square, on the site now occupied by Boots. Over the years plaster had covered the timber structure and the timber framed effect was acquired using paint, often becoming highly ornamental. In this photograph, the plan of the woodwork on plaster follows the timber underneath more accurately.

The shop had been used as a chemist's since 1786, when Mr G. Wainwright established his horse medicine business there. The Averil family acquired the premises in 1859, and when the business was sold in 1935 it had been a chemist's shop for almost 150 years.

The building was demolished in 1961.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1790s
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square. In 1790 a decision was made to ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1860s
Harry Bostock, Stafford,
Harry Bostock, Stafford,

1880s
Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee Celebrations, Stafford,
Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee Celebrations, Stafford,

The Market Square decorated with flags. Victoria's Golden Jubilee was marked ...

1900s
Shire Hall and Market Square, Stafford,
Shire Hall and Market Square, Stafford,

Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market ...

1920s
Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford
Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford

Mayor William Thomas Richardson and Mayoress Emily Richardson of Stafford christening ...

1940s
'Steps to Prosperity' Pageant Float, Stafford
'Steps to Prosperity' Pageant Float, Stafford

'Steps to Prosperity' float, encouraging recycling during the post-war period, entered ...

1960s
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,

View looking north-west from over South Walls and Eastgate Street. The River ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P87.111.0143 (18/1359)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.