Baswich Salt Works

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1956 - 1960 (c.)

Description:New salt making equipment, known as the Oslo Plant, being installed at Baswich Salt Works.

Brine deposits were discovered under Stafford Common in 1877, during a search for water supplies for the town. In 1893 the Stafford Salt and Alkali Co. was founded on Common Road.

The company opened a second works in Baswich a year later, supplied with brine from Stafford Common by a pipeline which passed through the centre of the town and also fed the Brine Baths in Greengate Street.
In 1948 Stafford Salt and Alkali Co. and George Hamlett and Sons Ltd. of Cheshire provided capital to set up Vacuum Salt Ltd. and erect a vacuum plant at Baswich.

The open pan works at Baswich closed in 1957 as the vacuum process was more efficient. In 1959 the vacuum works were taken over by British Soda Co. Ltd.

Eventually the brine pumping process caused subsidence in the north of the town, and therefore salt production in Stafford was banned in 1970.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:TG21 (66/13565)

Source: Mr T Godridge

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.