Dale's Ironmongers Shop, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1922

Description:This building at 11 Greengate Street was a typical Tudor house (c.1500), although the building would have originally been thatched and a shop front was added in 1826.

The building was first used as a shop in 1811 when Bartlem Tomlinson started his ironmonger's business there. Philip Dale was one of his apprentices. In 1826 Dale set up his own business, acquiring Tomlinson's old premises in 1835.

The shop was noted by Charles Dickens from the window of the Swan Hotel during his brief stay in Stafford in the mid-1800s. It was demolished in the 1960s and replaced by modern shops.

Note the shop sign, a large copper kettle, hanging from one of the gables.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Ancient High House, Stafford
Ancient High House, Stafford

The large timber framed building is the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, ...

1880s
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,

Tea wrapper from William Marson's grocery business, established in the High House ...

1900s
Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,
Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,

Marson's staff and Christmas window display. Marson's high class grocer's shop ...

1920s
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,

Woodall's shop was at 55 Greengate Street. It closed in the 1970s.

1950s
Sydney Hall, Manager of the Swan Hotel, Stafford
Sydney Hall, Manager of the Swan Hotel, Stafford

Sydney Hall was manager of the Swan Hotel on Greengate Street from 1944 to 1955.

1970s
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,

St. Mary's Passages leads from Greengate into St. Mary's churchyard. On the right ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P83.003.0001 (18/1353)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.