Butcher's Shop, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1936

Description:This butcher's shop was located on the corner of White Lion Street and Lichfield Road.

Next to the shop can be seen the eighteenth century lock-up, used originally to detain local drunks and vagrants. In the 1930s the butcher used the lock-up for curing hams, smouldering sawdust being piled on the floor for this purpose.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1880s
White Lion Inn, Stafford,
White Lion Inn, Stafford,

The White Lion Inn was built on the site of the medieval St. John's Hospital and ...

1920s
Old Water Conduit, Stafford,
Old Water Conduit, Stafford,

An old water conduit unearthed during roadworks on Lichfield Road. The lock-up ...

1950s
White Lion Inn, Stafford,
White Lion Inn, Stafford,

The White Lion Inn was built on the site of the medieval St. John's Hospital and ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P80.001.0031 (18/1310)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.