Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1903

Description:Marson's staff and Christmas window display.

Marson's high class grocer's shop was housed in the Ancient High House on Greengate Street.

The High House was bought by John Marson in 1826, who converted the lower floor into shops. His son, William Albert, eventually took over his father's grocery business. In 1885 he added gables and new shop fronts, establishing himself as a high class family grocer and Italian warehouseman.

In 1890 Marson also opened the 'Old Curiosity Shop' behind the High House, selling furniture, china and fancy goods.

The building is now owned by the Borough Council and opened to the public as a heritage and exhibition centre in 1987.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Martin Street, Stafford,
Martin Street, Stafford,

Watercolour painting by Great Haywood born sculptor and artist Samuel Peploe Wood ...

1870s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

View of the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, built by Richard Dorrington ...

1900s
St. Chad's Church, Stafford,
St. Chad's Church, Stafford,

St. Chad's dates from the Norman period and is one of Stafford's oldest churches. ...

1920s
Dale's Ironmongers Shop, Stafford,
Dale's Ironmongers Shop, Stafford,

This building at 11 Greengate Street was a typical Tudor house (c.1500), although ...

1940s
Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford
Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford

View over Greengate Street and down Martin Street. On the right can be seen the ...

1960s
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,

Rear yard of the Bear Inn on Greengate Street, which included a coach house. The ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: William Salt Library

Donor ref:William Salt Library No., 25J, img: 722 (18/1242)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.