Marson's Grocers Shop Advertisement, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1897

Description:Advertisement for Marson's grocers shop, celebrating Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

Marson's was established in the Ancient High House on Greengate Street by John Marson in 1826. His son, William Albert, eventually took over his father's grocery business. In 1885 he added gables and new shop fronts, establishing himself as a high class family grocer and Italian warehouseman.

In 1890 Marson also opened the 'Old Curiosity Shop' behind the High House, selling china, furniture, pictures and other curios.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Martin Street, Stafford,
Martin Street, Stafford,

Watercolour painting by Great Haywood born sculptor and artist Samuel Peploe Wood ...

1870s
William Marson and Magic Lanterns, Stafford,
William Marson and Magic Lanterns, Stafford,

William Albert Marson held public magic lantern shows featuring his 'dissolving ...

1890s
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ...

1900s
Sproston's Gents Outfitters Shop, Stafford,
Sproston's Gents Outfitters Shop, Stafford,

This menswear shop was at 35 Greengate Street and was run by Percival Charles Sproston. ...

1920s
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,

Woodall's shop was at 55 Greengate Street. It closed in the 1970s.

1940s
Sydney and Elsie Hall, Swan Hotel,
Sydney and Elsie Hall, Swan Hotel,

Sydney and Elsie Hall with the Winnie Grundy Band at a function in the Ballroom ...

1960s
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,
Rear Yard of the Bear Inn, Stafford,

Rear yard of the Bear Inn on Greengate Street, which included a coach house. The ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: William Salt Library

Donor ref:William Salt Library No., 20P, img: 720 (18/1240)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.