General Booth and Mayor William Marson, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1906

Description:William Booth (1829 - 1912), known as 'General Booth', founded the Christian Mission in 1865.

The movement aimed to help the poor and needy of London's East End, and as it developed was renamed the Salvation Army.

William Booth is fourth from the left, next to Mrs Marson. Mayor William Marson holds the tipped staff. Booth arrived by open top car, hence the goggles.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1790s
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,
Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square. In 1790 a decision was made to ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1860s
Harry Bostock, Stafford,
Harry Bostock, Stafford,

1880s
Elizabethan House, Stafford,
Elizabethan House, Stafford,

The Elizabethan House was built on Gaolgate Street in the late Tudor period. The ...

1900s
Fair, Market Square, Stafford,
Fair, Market Square, Stafford,

Henry III granted the first annual fair to Stafford in 1261. Fairs had two sides ...

1920s
Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford
Christening a New Fire Engine, Stafford

Mayor William Thomas Richardson and Mayoress Emily Richardson of Stafford christening ...

1940s
Old Bank Building, Stafford,
Old Bank Building, Stafford,

One of the first banks to open outside London was Stevenson, Salt and Co. in 1737. ...

1960s
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,
Aerial View of Stafford from the South-east,

View looking north-west from over South Walls and Eastgate Street. The River ...

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P81.055.0015 (18/1182)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.