Football Club, Bostock's Shoe Works, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1912

Description:Edwin Bostock's shoe factory was originally in Foregate Street, Stafford, but was destroyed by fire in 1901. This resulted in a new factory being built in Sandon Road, which opened in 1903. Bostock's became Lotus Ltd. in 1919.

The company encouraged their employees to participate in sports and social activities. A Welfare Superintendent was appointed after the First World War and activities included gymnastics, bowling and dramatics.

The factory closed in 1998.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1890s
Portrait of Frederick Bostock, Stafford,
Portrait of Frederick Bostock, Stafford,

1920s
Leather patterns. Closing department, shoe manufacturing
Leather patterns. Closing department, shoe manufacturing

After the component sections of the upper have been cut to shape by the clicker, ...

1930s
Coronation Decorations, Lotus Shoe Factory, Stafford,
Coronation Decorations, Lotus Shoe Factory, Stafford,

Lotus was originally named Bostock's and was founded in the eighteenth century by ...

1980s
Lotus Shoe Factory Interior, Stafford
Lotus Shoe Factory Interior, Stafford

Lotus was originally named Bostock's and was founded in the eighteenth century by ...

Related themes:

Shoe Making Football Football
View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P80.004.0006 (18/1002)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.