Theme Explorer

Start Again > Business, Trade & Industry > Manufacturing > Metal Production & Working
Page 1 of 9 159 Records Found

A view from Hartshill Park, Stoke-on-Trent

The camera is looking north east from the end of Vicarage Road at the entrance to Hartshill Park and Nature Reserve. The middle of the photograph is dominated by the gas holders and buildings of Etruria ...

A view north from Hartshill Park, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph was taken from the top of Vicarage Road, at the entrance to Hartshill Park and Nature Reserve. The camera is looking northwards. Inn the foreground is the Diamond Clay Works, manufacturing ...

Aerial View, Oakamoor

Aerial view of Oakamoor including Thomas Bolton's Copper Works. The Uttoxeter Canal can is seen running past the factory. The Churnet valley railway line emerges from a tunnel, and crosses the canal bottom ...

Alfred Sohier Bolton

Bronze bas-relief plaque of Alfred Sohier Bolton (1827-1901) of Moor Court, Oakamoor, and of the firm Thomas Bolton & Sons, copper manufacturers. He was an original member of Staffordshire County Council ...

Apedale Ironworks

Founded in 1785 by the Parker brothers, Apedale ironworks stood close to the site of Apedale Heritage Centre. At the time of this photograph the ironworks was at its most productive and was managed by ...

Apedale Ironworks, Newcastle-under-Lyme

General view of Apedale Ironworks.

Bagnall's Locomotive Works staff, Stafford

This photograph shows most, if not all of the staff of the Bagnall's Castle Engine Works in Stafford. This was the occasion of a presentation of an illumintated address to Gordon Bagnall and his wife. ...

Bamfords, Leighton Works, Uttoxeter

An interior view of the foundry at Bamfords' Leighton Works, Pinfold Street, Uttoxeter. Bamfords was founded in 1871 by Henry Bamford and made water pumps, taps and agricultural machinery at their ...

Bedford Street Lock and Mellor's Millers on the Caldon Canal, Hanley

This photograph was taken from the Bedford Street Locks (locks 1 and 2) looking north along the Caldon Canal towards Mellor' Mills wharf and works. The canal bends sharply round to the left towards the ...

Bestmore Tool Co.'s works outing, Windsor

The workforce of the iron foundry visited Windsor and Marlowe, in the summer of 1955. They are pictured enjoying a pleasure boat on the River Thames.

Biddulph Valley Branch mineral railway at Milton Road, Stoke-on-Trent

A view north along the ex North Staffordshire Railway's Biddulph Valley Branch near Milton Road. Norton Colliery waste tip and the Ford Green Iron Works are the centre behind the line house. Much of the ...

Biddulph Valley Iron works

Robert Heath, born at Sneyd House, Burslem, in 1816 established blast furnaces and developed pits to supply them with coal at Biddulph and Ford Green. The Biddulph and Ford Green works became famous far ...

Bilston - A Bilston Chap : woodcut engraving

Image of a man in a smock, carrying a pick axe, and a basket. Reproduced in Palmer and Crowquill's `Wanderings of a Pen and Pencil,' p.28, [from Illustrated London News?]

Blackladies Priory, Brewood

This hand-drawn map, dating from the early 18th century, shows the site of the dissolved priory of Blackladies, near Brewood. The original Benedictine priory was founded circa 1150 and dissolved in 1538; ...

Blacksmith at work, Mayfield

Mr Charles Woodward, Blacksmith at Mayfield near Ashbourne, filing a horse's hoof outside his smithy at 22 Wallash, Mayfield. The smithy belonged to the Woodward family from 1805 and worked until Charles ...

Blacksmith, Stone,

Mr Salmon, blacksmith at Stonefield Forge.

Blacksmiths at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford

Blacksmiths at the Smithy at Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works, Stafford in about 1905. Siemens Bros. Electrical Engineering Works opened its Lichfield Road factory in 1903, after relocating from Woolwich ...

Blacksmith's workshop, Mayfield

This smithy at 22 Wallash, Mayfield belonged to the Woodward family from 1805 and worked until Charles Woodward retired in 1965. Many of these tools were made by Mr Woodward and his father. It was collected ...