Theme Explorer

Page 1 of 2 27 Records Found
12

Assembly Rooms, Corporation Street, Tamworth

The Assembly Rooms are seen here with the Volunteer Fire Brigade extending a ladder to the left of the building. The Assembly Rooms were built in the Italian Renaissance style by public subscription to ...

Central Hall, Longton. Photographed by William Blake.

The Easter celebration decorations at Central Hall, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Clearing House Staff, Trentham Gardens

A group of clearing house staff taken during the 2nd World War when Trentham Gardens Ballroom was used as the Bankers' Clearing House. Back row, third from left is Maria Darlington. Planning for the ...

Clearing House, Trentham Gardens Ballroom

The interior of the Ballroom at Trentham Gardens when it was being used as the Bankers' Clearing House. Planning for the move of Clearing Banks from the City of London began in 1938, and in February ...

Corporation Street, Tamworth

The Carnegie Library built in 1905 is seen on the left, with the Assembly Rooms on the far right. The tower of St. Editha's can be seen in the background. The Assembly rooms were built by a public subscription ...

Demolition of the Municipal Hall, Ironmarket, Newcastle-under-Lyme

The Hall was demolished in 1967 and the present Newcastle Library now occupies the site. The Dance Hall is pictured here during the demolition.

Donkeys, Blackpool. Photographed by William Blake.

Group portrait of holiday makers taking a donkey ride on Blackpool Beach, Lancashire. The base of Blackpool Tower can be seen in the background.

Electric Palace and Skating Rink, Anglesey Street, Hednesford

Built in 1910 as a roller-skating rink, it was said to have a maple floor the equal of any in the Midlands. It was refurbished in 1912 and the name changed to the Electric Palace, showing films and holding ...

Electricity Exhibition, Assembly rooms, Tamworth

The machine being demonstrated here is the Braiding Machine, presumably then in use at the Hamel Mill. Fourth from the left is Mr W. Wright, Mill Manager of Hamel's Mill, with Miss Dorothy May Wright ...

Fancy dress party, Assembly Rooms, Tamworth

Children's Fancy Dress party at the Assembly Rooms, with the Mayor, and Mayoress. From left to right they are Mr Weale (who was also a local photographer), Mrs Weale, Miss Audrey Barker , Miss Weale, ...

Miss Margo Lorenz at the Stafford Press Ball

Miss Margo Lorenz, the Viennese film star is pictured with guests and officials of the Stafford Press Ball. Left to right: the man on the left is unknown (he did not appear in the printed newspaper picture); ...

Recreation Hall, Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford

The large recreation hall was used in the winter as a dance hall, cinema and theatre. Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County ...

Roller Skating Rink, Town Road, Hanley

The Ideal Roller Skating Rink and Ideal dance Hall was on town road in Hanley. The building started life as a Congregational Tabernacle dating from the 1850s. It was superseded by a "new" Tabernacle ...

Tamworth Industrial Co-Operative Society produce display, Assembly rooms, Tamworth

The Ballroom, Trentham Gardens

The Ballroom at Trentham Gardens during the Second World War when it was being used as the Bankers' Clearing House. The Ballroom was built by Trentham Gardens Ltd. on the site of the old kitchen gardens ...

The Forum, Market Hall Street, Cannock

The tall white building was known as The Forum at the time of this photograph. It was built in 1912 and was originally the Hippodrome Theatre, managed by Benjamin Kennedy and hosting film shows and variety ...

The Hippodrome Variety Theatre, Stoke.

The Hippodrome was built in Kingsway, Stoke in 1919. It instantly became a popular venue and also served as the Gordon Theatre & Opera House. Upon its closure in January 1961 it was the Gaumont cinema. ...

Top of the World dance hall, Newport Road Stafford

The Top of the World dance hall "County Suite" pictured here was situated to the left of the main entrance downstairs. The hall later became a night club and has since been known as Romeo & Juliet's, ...

12