Theme Explorer

Start Again > Transport & Communication > Railways > Churnet Valley Railway
Page 6 of 10 174 Records Found

North Staffordshire Railway steam locomotive

A North Staffordshire Railway 2-4-2 steam locomotive, pictured in around 1900. This engine would have been built at the North staffordshire Railway's own works at Stoke. This image is featured by ...

North Staffordshire Railway steam locomotive

North Staffordshire Railway 2-4-0 steam locomotive number 46 stands at Uttoxeter station in 1900. This image is featured by kind permission of the Churnet Valley Railway.

Oakamoor

A view taken from the top of Oakamoor Tunnel, looking towards Alton. Botton left is the crossing keeper's house with the terrace of housing built for Bolton's copper workers known as The Island. Oakamoor ...

Oakamoor level crossing

Photograph of the level crossing in Mill Road Oakamoor, and the Crossing Keepers Lodge, Oakamoor railway tunnel portal and crossing in the foreground, with the copper works and Holy Trinity Church in ...

Oakamoor railway station

Members of British Railways' staff go to work with some heavy luggage at Oakamoor station, while the passenger in the background, Ivan Bentley, looks on. Mr Ivan Bentley was the Permanent Way Forman for ...

Oakamoor railway station

Oakamoor railway station lies disused and overgrown in summer 1973. Designed by A.W.N. Pugin, this style of architecture was a signature of the North Staffordshire Railway. Varying examples of outstanding ...

Oakamoor railway station

Oakamoor railway station, pictured during the 1950s. Designed by A.W.N. Pugin, this style of architecture was a signature of the North Staffordshire Railway. Varying examples of outstanding NSR ...

Oakamoor railway station

A member of British Railway staff, Mrs Rita Ecclestone, Clerk and Porter at Oakamoor Station, taking a moment's ease at Oakamoor station during the 1950s. This station was in a delightful setting, deep ...

Oakamoor signal box

Oakamoor signal box, pictured during the 1960s. A platelayers' hut and crossing gates complete the scene. This image is taken from the collection of the Churnet Valley Railway.

Oakamoor Station

Oakamoor Station stands on the North Staffordshire Railway's Churnet Valley line. It was built in about 1849 in typical N.S.R. picturesque Tudor style.

Oakamoor station porter

The porter Mr Gordon Brough at Oakamoor station in 1957. This image is included by kind permission of the Churnet Valley Railway.

Oakamoor Station. Circa 1958.

The station porter Mrs. Rita Ecclestone has a go at bike riding on the "down" platform of Oakamoor Station during an obvious lull in traffic! Those carefree days of the commuter seem a long way off ...

Oakamoor's prize-winning station staff

Station staff at Oakamoor are presented with certificates for winning second prize in British Railways' awards for best kept station gardens. The staff holding the awards are Rita Ecclestone and Gordon ...

Open day at Stoke railway station

When this open day took place at Stoke railway station, the public were invited to inspect these three veteran steam locomotives. In the foreground, a child contemplates the gap between the staircase ...

Passenger service at Alton station

A Leek to Uttoxeter service hauled by grimy Fowler 4P locomtive number 42323 waits at Alton. Many rural passenger services were withdrawn during the 1960s, and stations like Alton were closed. However, ...

Passenger service at Leek station

A passenger train stands at Leek station in 1928. The locomotive is an 0-6-0 tank engine. Because it has only two carriages it is probably a local service between Leek and Uttoxeter. This image ...

Passenger train at Oakamoor

A three-coach passenger service approaches Oakamoor in around 1957, hauled by Stanier class 4P steam locomotive number 42663. Note the spur line to the right, heading into sidings at Bolton's Copper ...

Passenger train passing Rudyard Lake

A Fowler 4P steam locomotive passes Rudyard Lake with a three-coach passenger service from Macclesfield in 1953. This image is featured by kind permission of the Churnet Valley Railway.