Theme Explorer

Page 4 of 4 72 Records Found

The Lock up, Gnosall

Gnosall village lock-up, Station Road, built in 1830. Lock-ups, often found in rural communities, were a convenient place to detain vagrants and local drunks. Only three lock-ups survive in the county, ...

The Lock up, Gnosall

Gnosall village lock-up, Station Road, built in 1830. Lock-ups, often found in rural communities, were a convenient place to detain vagrants and local drunks. Only three lock-ups survive in the county, ...

The Lock-up, Alton

To the left can be seen the village lock-up, built in 1819 and renovated in 1977.

The Lock-up, Alton

The village lock-up was built in 1819 and renovated in 1977.

The Lock-up, Alton

The village lock-up in Alton was built in 1819 and renovated in 1977. This postcard view was franked at 11.00 AM on 19 February, 1910 in Stafford and posted to an address in Birmingham.

The Old Cottage, Bellbrook, Penkridge

This postcard view shows ‘The Old Cottage’, a 15th century Grade II listed building which stands on the junction of Bellbrook and Market Place. On the left of the cottage (east side) an oriel window can ...

The Old Gaol, Penkridge

Built in the early 19th century, the Old Gaol was the village lock-up and stands on Bellbrook. The building was carefully restored by Penkridge Civic Society in the late 1990s and opened as Penkridge ...

The Pound, Pattingham

The village pound was a lock-up which stood on the north side of Newgate near the junction with Westbeech Road. It was demolished in about 1961.

The Round House, Alton

This is a view of the village lock-up, built in 1819 and renovated in 1977.

The Round House, Alton

This solidly built structure with stone walls, roof and cupola dates from c1815. It was erected as the village's lock-up, with the purpose of housing felons. Clearly it would have been virtually impossible ...

The Stocks, Penkridge

the village policeman and a willing victim pose with the village stocks which stand in front of the Old Gaol in Penkridge. Built in the early 19th century, the Old Gaol was the village lock-up and stands ...

The Stocks, Penkridge

This postcard view shows the village stocks which stand in front of the Old Gaol in Penkridge. Built in the early 19th century, the Old Gaol was the village lock-up and stands on Bellbrook. The building ...

Treadwheel, Stafford Gaol

Treadwheels were introduced as a form of prison punishment in 1817. The treadwheels at Stafford Gaol powered the corn mill and pumped water from wells within the prison grounds.

Treadwheel, Stafford Gaol

Treadwheels were introduced as a form of prison punishment in 1817, often serving no other purpose than to enforce hard, monotonous work, though some powered pumping or grinding machines. At Stafford ...

Trial and execution of two boatmen

An incomplete broadsheet detailing the trial and execution of James Owen and George Thomas, who were convicted at Stafford Assizes for the murder of Christina Collins. In 1838 Robert Collins, an out ...

Vicarage Row and the Lock-up, Alton

A view of Vicarage Row on Dimble Lane from the north east , with the village lock-up, built in 1819 and renovated in 1977, standing to the right. The stone-built cottages on Vicarage Row date from the ...

White Lion Inn, Stafford,

The White Lion Inn was built on the site of the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel on Lichfield Road; the rear structure of the inn included stonework from the old chapel. On the right is the eighteenth ...

Women's Prison, Stafford Gaol

Male and female prisoners had always been kept separate, but due to overcrowding a new gaol for females was built in 1852. This allowed the Separate System to be introduced in which it was believed that ...