Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 9 152 Records Found

Cross Heath Cotton Mill, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This photograph shows the cotton mill in Cross Heath in 1960. The mill was built by Richard Thompson in 1797 and continued to manufacture textiles until the late 1960s. Thompson was a conscientious employer ...

Crowd standing under gateway, Leek

A group of adults and children stand beneath the arches of large fake castellated gateway. On the right, facing towards Heywood Street is the lower dyehouse, which became the Leek Post building.

Cutting headwear and gloves, Job White & Sons Ltd, Compton Mill, Leek

The picture was one of a number taken at Job White & Sons factory during the year of Queen Elizabeth II's coronation.

Directors of Job White & Sons Ltd, Compton Mills, Leek

On the left is Mr Job White, next to him is Mr Harry White, and on the right is Mr Charlie L. White.

Double Row, Upper Tean

This terrace of 8 cottages was built by J. & N. Phillips in 1798 for their weavers and their families. Each had a set of four looms on the ground floor and the living accomodation was reached by external ...

Dye House, Stafford,

This former dye house is now part of The Colonnades shopping centre on Eastgate Street. Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.

E.B. Chapman's Sheepskin Works, Tutbury

Mr Chapman at the beam, using a fleshing knife to remove excess flesh from the skin before tanning and curing, an unpleasant job. E.B. Chapman's Sheepskin Works, at the Old Mill, Tutbury. The corn mill ...

Edward Earles, Leek

Photograph of Edward Earles, a Leek silk doubler. A silk doubler operated a machine used to twist together strands of silk.

Employees of the corset factory, The Wharf, Uttoxeter

Enderley Mill, Enderley Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Enderley Mills were founded in 1881 by Richard Stanway and specialised in the manufacture of uniforms. At the time of Stanway's ownership the Mill was viewed as a model one by the Government Inspector, ...

Entrance, Dye House, Stafford,

This former dye house is now part of The Colonnades shopping centre on Eastgate Street. Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.

Fazeley Canal and Tolson's Mill, Dosthill

Tolson's Mill began life as Sir Robert Peel's Mill, where they made narrow tape and webbing. Peel leased and eventually sold the mill to William Tolson, who was leasing Dosthill Hall at the time. In ...

Fustian Mill on Oxford Road, Fegg Haye, Stoke-on-Trents.

The fustian mill is on the west side of Oxford Road. The mill was part of Congleton Cutters "English Velvets". Fustian is the old name for corduroy, a kind of cotton velvet. The cotton cloth had extra ...

Fustian Mill, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Interior view of the Fustian mill on Hempstalls Lane. Fustian is a heavy cloth woven from cotton, often used for mens suits. This is better known today (2013) as Johnson's Photopia.

Georgian Crystal, Tutbury

Georgian Crystal was formed by glassworkers made redundant following the closure of the nearby Webb Corbett Glassworks, then owned by Royal Doulton, in 1980. The glassworks, which occupied the former ...

Half Hose Knitting Department, Job White & Sons Ltd, Compton Mills, Leek

Hamel's Mill, Bolebridge Street, Tamworth

Lime washing at Hamel's Mill. Mr Arthur Bevan Taylor is on the left. Hamel's Mill was a tape weaving mill founded by the son of a French refugee, Etienne Bruno, who became Mayor of Tamworth twice. The ...

Hand Knitting at Moorland Handicraft Ltd., Moorland Mill, Leek

By 2003 this building had become a timber merchant's yard and warehouse.