Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 16 272 Records Found

Chell Road Gasometer, Stafford,

The town's first gas works were built by William Edwards and Co. on this site in 1829. By 1949, when the works were taken over by the West Midland Gas Board, none of the original buildings remained. The ...

Chell Road Gasometer, Stafford,

The town's first gas works were built by William Edwards and Co. on this site in 1829. By 1949, when the works were taken over by the West Midland Gas Board, none of the original buildings remained. The ...

Chestall, Cannock Chase

This postcard was posted on 4 March 1915. The view is of Chestall Hall which was once part of the vast Beaudesert Estate. Originally an 18th century farmhouse owned by the Earl of Uxbridge, the house ...

Clark's Garage, Stafford,

Charles Clark's main garage was in Gaol Square, but this garage is on Foregate Street. One of Staffords gasometers can be seen on the left.

Claymills Pumping Station, Burton-upon-Trent

Claymills Pumping Station was designed by James Mansergh and opened in 1885. It was used to pump sewage from Burton-upon-Trent to a sewage farm at Etwall, and was built in response to increasing health ...

Claymills Pumping Station, Burton-upon-Trent

Claymills Pumping Station was designed by James Mansergh and opened in 1885. It was used to pump sewage from Burton-upon-Trent to a sewage farm at Etwall, and was built in response to increasing health ...

Clock and Market Place, Willenhall

This Harold Carwright photograph has slightly different composition to the others he took of the Market Place. The time on the clock face seems to make this the first of the set so perhaps he was not ...

Construction of Rugeley 'A' Power Station

A photograph showing the construction of Rugeley 'A' Power Station and Lea Hall colliery. The chimney and half clad boiler house are the power station and the lower concrete buildings behind the cottage ...

Construction of Rugeley 'B' Power Station

Construction of Rugeley's 'B' 1000mW Power Station began in 1965 and was completed in 1972. The power station closed in June 2016 and is currently (2019) being demolished. It is said typically to have ...

Construction of the Guildhall, Stafford,

The original Guildhall was built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. By the 1930s a new police station was needed and one was constructed ...

Construction of the Waterworks, Milford,

The waterworks pumping station was built at Milford in 1890. The reservoirs situated on the top of the Satnall Hills supplied water to Stafford and its surrounding districts.

Corner of the Bowling Green, Cannock

A postcard picture of Cannock's bowling green with 'The Green' behind. This 18th century house was modernised in the mid-19th century by Bernard Gilpin, owner of the famous edge-tool manufactory. To ...

Cottage at Slitting Mill, Rugeley,

Cottage by Slitting Mill Waterworks shortly before demolition. The cottage belonged to the Water Company. Mary Sant (pictured) and her blacksmith husband William were allowed to stay in the cottage until ...

Cresswell Pumping Station, Draycott-in-the-Moors

Cresswell Pumping Station was built between 1927 and 1932 by the Staffordshire Potteries Waterworks . It was officially opened in July 1932 and contained a pair of steam engines which were amongst the ...

Cresswell Pumping Station, Draycott-in-the-Moors

Cresswell Pumping Station was built between 1927 and 1932 by the Staffordshire Potteries water Board . It was officially opened in July 1932 and contained a pair of steam engines which were amongst the ...

Cresswell Pumping Station, Draycott-in-the-Moors

Cresswell Pumping Station was built between 1927 and 1932 by the Staffordshire Potteries water Board . It was officially opened in July 1932 and contained a pair of steam engines which were amongst the ...

Cycle shed, Perton Airfield

A view of a derelict building on the former Perton Airfield site, near Smith's Rough. It is believed to have been a bicycle shed for airfield personnel. In the 1980s it was known as 'Seven Jails' to ...

Earl Street, Stafford, (1)

View of Earl Street, with Harriss and Son's off-licence on Bath Street corner. The building on the far right is the British School. In the middle background is the Methodist School Rooms, which opened ...