Theme Explorer

Start Again > Parks & Gardens > Rivers & Streams
Page 2 of 5 78 Records Found

Izaak Walton Walk, Victoria Park, Stafford

The development of Izaak Walton Walk in the 1880s was part of Stafford Corporation's river improvement scheme. Seats and railings were installed. Later, around 1900, trees were added to improve the appearance ...

Ladder Bridge, Stafford

The Ladder Bridge spanned the River Penk at its junction with the Sow. The bridge was used by the canal boatmen who would bring their boats from the canal lock at Baswich to the wharf near to the Greengate ...

Love Lane, Weston

Lovers' Walk, Shugborough Park,

Meaford Hall, Stone,

A hall has stood on this site since the seventeenth century. Towards the end of the century a William Jervis of Chatcull bought the estate, and in 1740 soldiers of the Duke of Cumberland were billeted ...

Mill Pool Stafford

View from the footbridge looking across Victoria Park towards the railway station buildings. Until 1957 the Town Mill stood near this site; the mill wheels are still preserved in the park. In the foreground ...

Mr and Mrs Tavernor, Stafford,

Geoffrey and Pat Tavernor by the River Sow where it meets the River Penk, near to the ladder bridge. Mr and Mrs Tavernor were married at St. Chad's Church, Stafford, on 7 August 1939; they had one ...

Poultry House, Trentham Gardens,

Trentham Hall was built in the 1630s for the Dukes of Sutherland. The Caroline house was replaced in the early eighteenth century by one in a Classical style. Capability Brown and Henry Holland worked ...

Reconstruction of the Old Victoria Road Bridge, Stafford,

The original Victoria Bridge was built on soft ground in the 1860s. It lasted until 1933, when a new bridge, designed by the Borough Surveyor, William Plant. In this photograph the old bridge is being ...

River Sow and Aqueduct, Milford,

Aqueduct carrying the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal over the River Sow, near Milford.

River Sow and the Royal Brine Baths, Stafford,

In the 1880s a thick bed of salt was discovered on Stafford Common, during the search for a water supply for the town. This led to the opening of the Brine Baths in Greengate Street in 1892, designed ...

River Sow in Stafford,

The River Sow, with South Street on the left and the Castle Tavern in the distance.

River Sow, Milford

View from near the canal aquaduct, looking east towards Holdiford Bridge.

River Sow, Stafford,

Photograph taken on the River Sow just downstream from the White Bridge. On the upstream side there was a boathouse, Stalls and Hamon, and later boats could be hired from the Royal Brine Baths.

River Tean at Crakemarsh, near Uttoxeter

Cattle, a horse and ducks at a ford on the River Tean, close to Crakemarsh, near Uttoxeter Photograph by Alfred McCann of High Street, Uttoxeter.

River Trent, Trentham Gardens,

The original Trentham Hall was built in the 1630s for the Dukes of Sutherland. The Caroline house was replaced in the early eighteenth century by one in a Classical style. Capability Brown and Henry ...

Riverside walk, Burton upon Trent

Lantern slide view of a riverside footpaths flooded in Burton upon Trent, possibly in Stapenhill Recreation Grounds. Copyright: Burton Library.

Seighford Hall,

Seighford Hall is an Elizabethan house to which additions were made over the years, particularly during the Victorian period. A brick tower in the grounds was built to look like a church tower. This ...