Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 37 651 Records Found

Almshouses, High Street, Kinver

The almshouses stood at 48-49 High Street and were demolished in 1972. At the time of this photograph the building was occupied by Midland Bank Ltd.

Almshouses, High Street, Kivner

The Almshouses were demolished in 1972.

Ambulances, Heath House Auxiliary Hospital, Tean

Four ambulances with drivers and auxiliaries outside Heath House, near Tean, pictured during a voluntary blood donors day. With the support of the Phillips family, Heath House was used as a Red Cross ...

Ambulances, Heath House Auxiliary Hospital, Tean

An ambulance marked 'American Ambulance - Great Britain' on the passenger door with auxiliaries and Army personnel, pictured on the drive outside Heath House, near Tean during a voluntary blood donation ...

American Red Cross, Hanley

The American Red Cross in Upper Market Square, Hanley pictured during World War II. In the late 1950s this building was the National Insurance Office, then later Cantor's furniture store. Today (2019) ...

Apothecary's weights

A set of apothecary's weights stored in a round cardboard pill box from Luther Wilson, 28 Brock Street, Bath. There are containing 16 brass weights in varying sizes. They were used with a set of scales ...

Asylum railway, Cheddleton

A view of the electric engine that powered the asylum train serving Leekbrook Asylum. This engine is now at the National Railway Museum in York. This image is taken from the collection of the Churnet ...

Asylum railway, Cheddleton

An electric railway ran from Leekbrook to the asylum at Cheddleton. It ran for about a mile and was under the control of the asylum. It carried everything from the workforce, inmates, food and coal! ...

Asylum tokens, Cheddleton Asylum

Finding the right work for the right patient was vital to the asylum doctors and Superintendent, in order to maximise the therapeutic effect. Cheddleton Superintendent William Menzies was particularly ...

Bagot Almshouses, Abbots Bromley

The Bagot Almshouses, built on Bagot Street in 1705 through a bequest from local landowner Lambard Bagot. Originally intended to house six elderly men, who were given a quarterly allowance and, every ...

Bagot Almshouses, Abbots Bromley

The Bagot Almshouses, built on Bagot Street in 1705 through a bequest from local landowner Lambard Bagot. Originally intended to house six elderly men, who were given a quarterly allowance and, every ...

Bank Passage, Stafford,

View through Bank Passage from Market Square. The plaque to the right of the arch was for Mr H.S. Shepherd L.D.S, Dental Surgeon, whose practice was accessed via a doorway halfway through the arch on ...

Barton Land Home for the Elderly, Barlaston,

Barton Land under repair; builders are replacing the roof tiles. The nineteenth century building was formerly known as Upper House and was the home of the Barton- Land family. The house was bequeathed ...

Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital

Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital, Ward 1

This picture shows children outside the hospital wards in the summer time, when they were nursed in the fresh air. The house was given originally to Stoke-on-Trent council, but after a short period it ...

Blood donors, Heath House Auxiliary Hospital, Tean

Volunteer blood donors being attended to by nurses at Heath House, near Tean. With the support of the Phillips family, Heath House was used as a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital between 1941 and 1946. Photographer: ...

Blood donors, Lotus Ltd, Stafford

A new use was found for the sports pavilion at the Stafford factory of Lotus Ltd., which was usually the venue for many social functions. This picture presented an unusual scene when a mobile unit from ...

Blue Cross Charity Shop, Gaolgate Street, Stafford

View of a charity shop run by the Blue Cross, a charitable organization focused on animal welfare and the re-homing of unwanted pets. On display in the window can be seen some of the secondhand clothes ...