Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 3 45 Records Found

Parliament Square and Hanley meat market

The old Hanley meat market from Parliament Square with Webberley's store in the background. Built in 1831 in classical style with Roman style Doric doorways, the old meat market building is now grade ...

Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square. In 1790 a decision was made to replace the old Elizabethan Shire Hall, which was in a poor state of repair. Several plans were submitted including ones ...

Shepherd's Monument, Shugborough Park,

The Shepherd's Monument (c.1750) takes its name from its central marble relief by the Dutch artist Peter Scheemakers, who also worked on Shugborough's Triumphal Arch. The relief is a mirror image of ...

Shire Hall and Market Square, Stafford,

Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market opened behind the new Guildhall, but some stalls continued to trade from the Market Square. On the right is the Shire ...

Shugborough Hall, Front Elevation,

Shugborough is the ancestral home of the Anson family, who were later created the Earls of Lichfield. The central block of the house was built in 1693. Thomas Wright of Durham designed the pavilions ...

Shugborough Hall, Milford

Shugborough is the ancestral home of the Anson family, who were later created the Earls of Lichfield. The central block of the house was built in 1693. Thomas Wright of Durham designed the pavilions ...

Shugborough Hall, Rear Elevation

Shugborough is the ancestral home of the Anson family, who were later created the Earls of Lichfield. The central block of the house was built in 1693. Thomas Wright of Durham designed the pavilions ...

St John's Church, Longton

St John the Baptist Church and churchyard in Longton. This was the view across the graveyard from Rutland Road. The old church founded in 1764, rebuilt in 1792 with the east end nearest the camera enlarged ...

St. Joseph's Convent, Stafford

The building on the left was originally Forebridge Villa, built on Lichfield Road in the early nineteenth century. The house was bought in 1903 by sisters from the French Order of St. Joseph of Cluny. ...

The Boathouse , Enville Hall

The Enville Hall estate was landscaped between 1745 and 1755 by the 4th Earl of Stamford, using the services of the poet and landscape designer William Shenstone of Halesowen, and Sanderson Miller, a ...

The Chinese House, Shugborough Park

The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China. The ...

The Conduit, Uttoxeter

A postcard view of a bas-relief on the west side of the Conduit located in Market Place, Uttoxeter. It portrays Dr Johnson doing penance and it is comparable in style to the reliefs by Lucas on the Johnson ...

The Doric Temple, Shugborough Park

Built c.1760 this is one of two copies of the Temple of Hephaistos in Athens by James 'Athenian' Stuart. The first version was commissioned by Hagley Hall In Worcestershire in 1758, and is believed to ...

The Gardens Entrance, Alton Towers

A postcard view of the entrance to the Gardens and the Memorial to the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury at Alton Towers. The Memorial was erected in about 1830 by his nephew John, the 16th Earl. It is a copy of ...

The Midland Bank building, Market Street, Longton

This is the old Midland Bank building on the corner of Railway Passage and Market Street in Longton. A date tablet over the door states "Established 1836", the year of the founding of the Birmingham ...

The Temple, Patshull Hall

The Doric Temple stands on the west side of the Great Pool at Patshull Hall, and is believed to have been designed by James Gibbs in about 1750. It was incorporated into the Temple Hotel in 1980.

Tower of the Winds, Shugborough Park

The stair well of the Tower of the Winds, showing the water supply and alabaster and marble sink Samuel Wyatt installed as part of the building's conversion into a dairy in 1803. The original Tower ...

Tower of the Winds, Shugborough Park

The basement storey of the Tower of the Winds. This floor was converted by Samuel Wyatt as part of an ornamental dairy in about 1803. It has slate work surfaces and slate-lined walls, a typical Wyatt ...