Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 29 512 Records Found

Anderton Carrying Company - document from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

In the spring of 1838, James Macintyre, Agent for the Anderton Carrying Company, wrote this confident letter to Staffordshire's pottery manufacturers to celebrate his canal company's success. He announced ...

Aqueduct Cottage, Tamworth

This building, since demolished, was Aqueduct Cottage which stood close to the aqueduct where the Coventry Canal crossed the River Tame many feet below.

Armitage Church and the Trent & Mersey Canal

St. John's Church, Armitage, with the Trent and Mersey Canal in the foreground. With the exception of the tower, which dates from 1632, the church was rebuilt in 1844-7 in a Norman style, to the designs ...

Armitage Church and the Trent & Mersey Canal

St. John's Church, Armitage, with the Trent and Mersey Canal in the foreground. With the exception of the tower, which dates from 1632, the church was rebuilt in 1844-7 in a Norman style, to the designs ...

Armitage Park and Canal: engraving

'View of Armitage Park and subterraneous canal.' Showing Armitage church in the distance to the left of the canal, and a white villa or lodge in the park. 'Stringer, del.,' [drawn by E. or C. E. Stringer]....

Armitage Park: sepia drawing

'The villa of Nath'. Lister, Esqr., at Armitage, Staffordshire.' Showing Armitage canal and Armitage church to the left of the villa.[The original for SV I. 87a.]'E. Stringer del.,' [drawn]

Armitage Tunnel, Trent & Mersey Canal

A short section of tunnel cut through Keuper sandstone beds near Armitage. This stretch of the Trent and Mersey Canal was engineered by James Brindley and opened in 1770.

Arthur Wood's canalside factory, Longport, Stoke-on-Trent

This is a view south along the canal. Westport Lake is off to the right, on the left is the rear of Wood's pottery. the buildings have all been cleared and the are now used for light industry and food ...

At the Roe-Buck in Newcastle - Minutes of a Meeting to discuss the building of new branch canals. From the Enoch Wood scrapbook.

At the Roe-Buck in Newcastle a group of prominent men have gathered to discuss the plans for new branch canals connecting Hanley, Shelton, Burslem and Lane End. The men include local pottery manufacturers ...

Awbridge Lock, Wombourne

Awbridge Lock stands on the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, which was engineered by James Brindley and opened in May 1772.

Bagnall Lock Bridge, Alrewas

Bridge number 49 on the Trent and Mersey Canal at Bagnall Lock, close to the Kings Bromley road at Alrewas. This postcard scene is of younsters feeding swans from a narrow boat with lots of young onlookers ...

Barlow's narrow boat, Glascote, Tamworth

On the Wharf at S. E. Barlow's Anchor Docks from left to right are, Mr Herbert Florendine, Mr Andrew Penny (foreman), and Mr S. E. Barlow. The gentleman in the boat, the Long Moll, on the far left is ...

Barton Marina, Barton-under-Needwood

Narrowboats moored at Barton Marina on the Trent and Mersey Canal, near Barton-under-Needwood. Excavation of gravel and sand started on the site in 1994, and the Marina opened in 2001. As well as ...

Basin Bridge, Kidsgrove

A group of children on Basin Bridge at Kidsgrove on the Macclesfield Canal. The Poole aqueduct taking the Macclesfield Canal over the Trent and Mersey canal is in the background.

Bedford Street Lock and Mellor's Millers on the Caldon Canal, Hanley

This photograph was taken from the Bedford Street Locks (locks 1 and 2) looking north along the Caldon Canal towards Mellor' Mills wharf and works. The canal bends sharply round to the left towards the ...

Bedford Street, Cliffe Vale, Stoke-on-Trent

A view taken from Bedford Street canal bridge looking towards the Gas Works. Two large gasometers dominated the skyline of Cliffe Vale and Etruria for many years. The gas works opened in 1904. The large ...

Birches Head Road, Caldon Canal, Abbey Hulton, Stoke on Trent

A view north east across the River Trent valley from the Birches Head Road bridge over the Caldon Canal. The buildings in the right centre were Abbey Farm in the 1960s, now Trent Country Club, with Redhills ...

Birches Head Road, Stoke-on-Trent

The view west along Birches Head Road from just before the Caldon Canal. The parapets of the canal bridge are in the centre of the photograph. Just beyond is the level crossing over the Biddulph Valley/Stoke ...