Horsefair, Rugeley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1906 - 1908 (c.)

Description:Looking north-west along Horsefair. Alongside the Station Hotel is the tree that would become the source of its later renaming as the Tree public house. The building on the corner of Talbot Street behind the tree was later to be a newsagents and post office run by Frith's and later by Tonks'.
On the left, need against the railway embankment is Parker's (it is probably them standing in their doorway) house including their greengrocery business. Prior to its demolition for road widening in the late 1970's, it was later run by the Moorecroft family; and also included wet-fish, Mrs Moorecroft was daughter of the Parkers. They also had a greengrocery market stall in the Town Hall Market later run by Mr Moorcroft.

A postcard published by Pascoe and Son, Rugeley. The message on the reverse to Miss 'Lizzie' Hitchenor at The Royal Victoria Nursing Institution, Wolverhampton dates from 1908.