Happy Days Coaches, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.


Description:In the centre of this photograph Mr W H Austin is pictured with his staff outside the Happy Days Coaches booking office on the corner of Derby Street and Railway Street in Stafford.

The Happy Days Coach business was started around 1922 by the Austin family. They operated originally as coal merchants and later began to arrange coach trips at weekends. In later years the Austin name merged into the Happy Days business. Happy Days had depots in Knightley, Stafford, Cannock and Walsall. They were one of the first coach companies to operate holidays into Europe after the Second World War. All of their coaches were given consecutive numbers and by June 2017 they reached 233.

The coach details in this view: 875 ERF a Bedford SB with Duple coach body, new in February 1955 as fleet number 84. 151 FRE a Commer Avenger II with Duple coach body, new in March 1955 as fleet number 85. 152 FRE Commer Avenger II with Duple coach body, new in April 1955 as fleet number 86.

Around 1951 Leon Douglas started a taxi business and adopted Leons as its trading name. Happy Days became part of Leons during 2012 and moved from their site in Greyfriars, Stafford, to a new purpose built base for Leons Holidays at Paton Drive, Beaconside, Stafford.

View Location


Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Leons Coaches (Mr Gavin Lewis)

Donor ref:IMG_1717 (55/32882)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.