Beaudesert Hall and Park

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:21st of August 2013

Description:Beaudesert Park is an area of historic parkland, within which are the ruins of Beaudesert Hall, a walled kitchen garden, remains of a stable block, an ice house, ponds and cascades. The parkland is located on the eastern edge of Cannock Chase, Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and comprises part of the country estate owned by generations of the Paget family between 1546 and 1935.

The Beaudesert Trust own and manage Beaudesert Park and welcomes Youth organisations, such as Scouts and Guides, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, Youth Clubs and Schools, Colleges and University groups. Beaudesert Park is used for various outdoor activities and educational experiences.

This photograph was taken near to the restored Viewing Point during a field trip to the site by the Landor Society.

The Viewing Point looks east from high ground on the edge of the former Gardens that were adjacent to Beaudesert Hall. From here visitors to the Hall could admire the views. On the left to Rugeley, ahead to Burton on Trent and on the right to Lichfield.

Before the Hall was demolished, there would have been similar views from the Halls east front windows.

The cattle in the field are White Park Cattle. White Park Cattle are a very old breed of beef cattle which are now rare. They are closely descended from Britain’s original wild white cattle that were enclosed in parks by the nobility during the middle ages. The breed is classed as "Minority" by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust.

Nearby are the ruins of Beaudesert Hall which was the mansion of the Pagets, Marquesses of Anglesey. Its core was medieval, with later alterations. It was demolished in the early 1930's.

The main staircase and much interior panelling were shipped to Australia and can be seen at a house called Carrick Hill, near Adelaide.